Studying abroad with Erasmus+

Are you interested in studying abroad? You can find out more about the different opportunities here.

On this website you will find all the information on the ERASMUS programmes offered in our fields of study: Transcultural Communication (BA) and Translation (MA). Please read the information carefully. If you have further questions, please turn to our country coordinators.

Please make sure you also read the International Office's checklists and information sheets carefully as they provide important general information.

1. Places

Erasmus stays can only be done at those universities our degree programmes have an agreement with. You can search for available places in our degree programmes in this list. Places for Translation (MA) students are also listed under Transkulturelle Kommunikation/Transcultural Communication.

You can spend a maximum of 12 months at Erasmus host universities per study cycle (BA, MA, PhD), with the minimum length of stay being 3 months. Needless to say, the actual duration of the study exchange depends on the term dates of the host university.

Note: The 12-month quota refers to the study cycle, not the degree programme. If you are, for example, enrolled in two bachelor's programmes, you have a total of 12 months to study or work abroad, not 12 months per degree programme.

Students need to make sure that the combined duration of ERASMUS study and ERASMUS internship does not exceed 12 months per cycle.

You can extend your ERASMUS exchange stay if your original grant was for the winter semester and you want to stay for the summer semester, as well. If your original grant was for the summer semester, you cannot extend your stay and include the winter semester. The application must be delivered to the International Office – not your country coordinator – by e-mail no later than 6 weeks before the expiry of the original stay. (

You also need to bear in mind that the Erasmus grant will not cover all of your costs abroad.

2. Requirements

The ERASMUS programme is aimed at degree programme students of the University of Vienna who have completed at least two semesters in the relevant field of study by the start of their ERASMUS stay. BA students need to have completed the STEOP and Module 3 before applying for an ERASMUS exchange.

Language certificate

Translation and Transcultural Communication students do not have to provide a language certificate when applying for an ERASMUS place.

3. Application deadlines

Places for the winter semester and/or for the summer semester are assigned during the main application phase. Any remaining available places for the summer semester are assigned during a second phase in autumn. 

At the Centre for Translation Studies application deadlines are as follows:

Main phase: Applications will be accepted until 10 March. Please submit the required documents to your country coordinator. The available places will be announced here (website in German) middle/end of January.

Application for remaining places: Applications will be accepted until 5 October. Please submit the required documents to your country coordinator. The available places will be announced here (website in German) mid-September.

4. Application procedure

There are several steps to be completed during the application. The International Office provides detailed information on application procedures on their website and during information sessions.

Before submitting your application to your country coordinator you need to register online via the International Office at (online registration will be open from the end of January for the main phase and from mid-August to apply for remaining places).

Application to your country coordinator

You need to submit your application to your country coordinator. The following documents are required:

  • Transcript of records
  • Letter of motivation in the language of the country you apply for
  • Curriculum vitae in the language of the country you apply for

If there are several host universities to choose from, indicate your first three preferences.

Please submit the application documents to your country coordinator in person.

Selection criteria
  1. Formal qualifications are fulfilled
  2. Academic achievements (transcript of records)
  3. Academic progress (STEOP and Module 3 completed)
  4. Content and argumentation in your letter of motivation

If your application has been accepted by your country coordinator, he/she will nominate you for an ERASMUS stay. The students who have been nominated will be contacted by the International Office via e-mail informing them about the documents and forms that they will have to submit.

5. Course choice and Learning Agreement

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement stipulates the courses and the amount of ECTS credits you are going to take during your stay. Detailed information on the Learning Agreement can be found here.

Please gather information on the courses offered at your host university, compare its study plan to ours and talk to your country coordinator about the courses you are planning to take. Have the completed Learning Agreement signed - in this order before it is submitted to the International Office together with the other documents - by

  1. your country coordinator and
  2. your director of studies ("Studienprogrammleitung/SPL").

You will have to find out when the Learning Agreement has to be submitted to your host university. It lies within your responsibility that the host university receives the Learning Agreement in time (most universities require the document as part of the application procedure). Should the host university not require the learning agreement for your application/registration, please take it with you and discuss the courses with the local International Office upon your arrival.

ECTS credits and courses

In general, students should obtain 30 ECTS credits during an ERASMUS semester. In order to be eligible for the ERASMUS grant, a minimum of 3 ECTS credits per month recognised at the University of Vienna is required. Should these minimum requirements not be met, students have to repay (part of) the grant. As failed courses cannot be recognised, you should take more than the minimum number of courses to compensate in case you fail a course.

Should you work on your master's thesis or doctoral thesis during your ERASMUS stay, this is stated in the Learning Agreement including the title of the thesis and the signature of your supervisor. It is usually not required to take any classes in this case. However, please bear in mind that some host universities might expect you to take one or two classes anyway.

Please find out which courses incoming students are allowed to take at your host university. For Transcultural Communication students (BA) the following rules apply when choosing their classes: The seminars (SE) „Text und Diskurs“/“Text and Discourse“ and „Transkulturelle Kommunikation“/“Transcultural Communication“ cannot be taken abroad. Recognition of courses for the proseminar (PS) “Kultur und Kommunikation”/”Culture and Communication” is rare and must be discussed with your country coordinator and agreed upon in advance by the SPL. With regard to the Übung (UE) “Translatorische Basiskompetenz”/”Basic translation competence”, you need to indicate on the Learning Agreement for which module (module 10 or 11) the course you intend to take abroad should be recognised; recognition for module 11 (BA 2011) or module 13 (BA 2016) is not possible unless you fulfil all requirements for  module 11 (BA 2011) or module 13 (BA 2016) at the time of application. In general, you can take only one of the two “Translatorische Basiskompetenz”/”Basic translation competence” courses per language while abroad.

The relevant number of credits is the number of ECTS credits recognised at the University of Vienna, and not the number of credits assigned by the host university.

As the assignment of credits varies from university to university, similar courses may be assigned different numbers of credits. The courses you intend to take should be roughly equivalent as to course content and type of course (lecture, exercise,…).

To obtain the required number of ECTS credits for your grant, you may also take courses abroad that you have already passed in Vienna.

Your Learning Agreement may also include courses you are simply interested and that will not be recognised in Vienna; no equivalent courses will then be entered in the right-hand column.

If you extend your exchange stay you need to submit a new Learning Agreement.

The ERASMUS code of the University of Vienna is A-WIEN 01.

Changes to the Learning Agreement

In most cases, the course directory for your ERASMUS semester will not be published before a few weeks before the beginning of the semester. Since you have to submit your ERASMUS application a lot earlier than that, it is understandable if you need to make some changes to your course programme later on. Find out how your host university handles such changes. You also need to discuss any changes with your country coordinator as soon as possible to make sure that your choices will be recognised after your return. After having discussed and agreed upon intended changes via e-mail with your country coordinator, fill out the requisite form (part 2 of the Learning Agreement), have it signed at your host university and send a scan to your country coordinator. He or she will then forward it to the SPL. Changes will be accepted until 15 November (for the winter semester) and 15 April (for the summer semester).

You will find the form for the changes (part 2 of the Learning Agreement) here. Once the Learning Agreement is signed by all parties, please send a copy to the International Office via e-mail.

6. Course recognition

After your ERASMUS stay you will have to do the following:

  1. Within 2 months after your return (by 15 November if you stayed the summer semester abroad), complete part 3 of the Learning Agreement (here) for the recognition of your courses attended at the host university as proof for the OeAD.
  2. Complete the form "Ansuchen um Anerkennung von Prüfungen" (you will find it in a rack just outside the SSC) for your credits to be transferred and recognised for your studies at the Centre for Translation Studies. There is no deadline for the recognition procedure at the Centre, but you should take into account deadlines for the registration for courses for which you might need the credits from your host university.

Make an appointment with the SPL (via Doodle) and submit the following documents for signature:

  • all three parts of the Learning Agreement
  • the original certificate
  • your current student record sheet
  • the form "Ansuchen um Anerkennung von Prüfungen" (can be obtained from the wall in front of the SSC).

Recognition procedures at the Centre may take a while, and you will need to submit the original transcript of records from your host university.

Please hand in a copy of the signed Learning Agreement (part 3) and the transcript of records at the International Office once the above mentioned steps are completed.